Monday, March 12, 2007

Chemical Engineering Personal Statement

I am an undergraduate student currently majoring in Environmental Science and Engineering at Fudan University. I decided to continue my graduate study in Chemical Engineering because I think Chemical Engineering offers a better approach for solving certain environmental problems (specific reasons and explanations are included in my Personal Statement). Although I am not a Chemical Engineering major, I have taken various chemical and engineering related courses that are able to prepare me for study and research in the field of Chemical Engineering. Environmental Science and Engineering is an interdisciplinary major and chemistry is definitely an important part of it. Courses include General Chemistry (including Thermodynamics and Chemical Kinetics), Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (covering Fluid Mechanics, Electrochemistry, Surface Phenomena, Colliod Chemistry and Advanced Thermodynamics and Chemical Kinetics) and Environmental Chemistry. A course I took entitled Basics of Environmental Engineering also covers mass and heat transportation. I understand that my undergraduate background did not cover chemical engineering as comprehensively as if I had majored in the field, and there are still some important courses in your undergraduate Chemical Engineering program that I did not cover (reaction design process control, for example, and some other lab courses). Nevertheless I believe that I should have no problem making up for it. I will be happy to take some of the courses I missed if necessary. My background knowledge combined with my willpower will surely get me through any academic difficulties.

I am a fast learner once I put my mind to something. During my junior year I joined Professor Liu’s research group where I had the chance to participate in a number of research projects. Most of these projects are related to the physical-chemical treatment of wastewater, such as the oxidation processes using Fenton’s reagent (more details can be found in my Curriculum Vitae). These experiences taught me how to analyze a problem, how to approach to it, and how to discover feasible solutions. It was not long before I was doing my own research on the effect of a new reagent for treating municipal wastewater. Carrying out my own research has given me the opportunity to put what I have learned into further practice and gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Although the research problems in environmental science and chemical engineering are quite different from each other, the scientific approaches are similar. I am certain that I will be able to quickly adapt to the field of chemical engineering.

I intend to work myself up to a fairly high academic level in my graduate studies. Although I am only applying to a master’s program, I plan to finish with a PhD degree because I want to be at the frontier of the scientific development, leading the way instead of just following it. My interests in the field of Chemical Engineering are mainly focused on sustainable energy. Research in alternative sources of fuel might provide a permanent solution to the world’s energy problems. I am particularly interested in your program’s research into fuel cells. The in-depth study of the mechanisms of electrochemical processes and efforts to make fuel cells a commercial reality are exactly the kind of research I have been looking for. I want to make contributions to help improvre our current energy system—making it a more “virtuous cycle” instead of the current one-way consumption of eons of accumulation. I think your Chemical Engineering program is just the right choice for me to realize that goal.

My great passion for my academic future will be more than enough to carry me through any program of study. I would love to have a chance to do what I have always wanted to do - make a difference.

No comments: